Oh yes, I have now joined the statistics as one
of the hundred of thousands of people who have suffered from this awful virus!
I was feeling good this week, getting into my
routine with the man gone, the first full week of work half-way done and back
to working out; But then it hit me. I was at work seeing my patients when
I began to get the chills. As the day went on I became really fatigued and felthot, I knew the norovirus was in the hospital but none of my patients had
it. I washed my hands religiously the whole week with soap and water; I didn’t
think I possibly could have it. My initial thought was I didn’t
have caffeine today and this was a side effect! I got through the workday.
But on my commute home I continued to feel worse.
I barely made it to the apartment, before I
became extremely sick. It was every half hour from 6:30 pm to 4 am and I
just laid on the floor in terrible pain. It got a little "better,"
just once every 2 hours from 5 am to 10 am. All day yesterday, I felt so
incredibly weak I could barely stand. Thankfully, I have wonderful neighbor who
knew Jamie was gone and bought me ginger-ale, Gatorade and took the dogs for
the day to let me sleep. They were truly my saving grace!
Today, much better, just feel extremely exhausted
and cannot hold any food down yet. But at least I am functional. I disinfected
the bathroom kitchen, doorknobs, everything, this afternoon! Of course I did it
in 15-minute increments with 30 minutes to rest between. Now I know how my
patients may feel during therapy!
I wish this on NO-one. If you are ever
unfortunate to have this virus, here are some tips that may make it a little
more bearable for you.
Things you can do to help speed up recovery from
the norovirus are:
· Stay
well hydrated with fluids. Although water helps to rehydrate it does not
provide replenishment of the electrolytes the body loses rapidly from vomiting
and diarrhea. Sip slowly on clear fluids (sport drinks, ginger-ale, flat soda).
Drink little sips as often as you can, but beware that your body wont be able
to retain the fluid.
· Stay
off work (or school) until 48 hours after the symptoms have gone. Try to avoid
coming into contact with people for these few days.
· Try
sticking to a light diet when you feel up to it - foods that are easy to digest
are best to start with. They recommend the B.R.A.T diet (Bananas, Rice,
Applesauce, Toast).
Norovirus is a particularly nasty stomach virus
that lasts 2-3 days. It is not dangerous to those in good health but it could
be dangerous to those that are ill or in compromised health. It is extremely
contagious and can be spread by hands, mouth, eye or fluids. Make sure you
disinfect anything you have come in contact with.
This was not the way I imagined how I would lose
some of my Holiday weight! But least there was one positive thing to come out
of it right?!
Happy Thoughts!

No comments:
Post a Comment